ninety? ninety.

Portland is so unprepared for heat.


This is my third summer here and every year the heat seems to surprise people out of their mid-to-low-70's complacency and cause panic. It's like a little fit of apocalypse every 10-12 months -- people start stockpiling bottled water and box fans to the point that stores literally can't keep them in stock. It makes me wonder what the buyers for these stores spend their time doing in the off-season. 


In the meantime, life plugs along sweatily (not humidly, thank god) and a few days of intense heat versus months of it doesn't seem so bad. The guys' house is in no better shape than my apartment so there's no real refuge there so I am forced to retreat to the air conditioned sanctuary that is Starbucks (oy). As we learned last year when Jake was here and the temperature was between 90 and 110 degrees for about two weeks, this is a solid oasis of cool in the the village (Multnomah Village, the area of Portland where we all live) so long as you can find a seat. Even today I had to begin my excursion here sitting at one of the outdoor tables by the window and stalk a family until they left the little two-top I now occupy. 


I must say, now that I've been here a while I'm beginning to get goosebumps it's so nice and chilled in here. 


I win. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

INSTAGRAM

PINTEREST

TWITTER