nomad

And we're off!

Almost...

I'm sitting here at PDX waiting to board my flight home. Indy and Brig just dropped me off (with my surprisingly compact two suitcases - how's that for two weeks worth of international travel) and after being met with a much longer line than I expected I am now at gate C14 enjoying the free wi-fi. 

It's an almost unsettling sensation I have right now. My last night at work went off with no upsets (ok, yes, I dropped and broke my first plate on my last night... awesome) and last night was a dream come true when Brig and I saw RENT at The Keller Auditorium with original cast members Anthony Rapp (who I've met twice) and Adam Pascal. It was nothing short of perfection. To see and hear them perform these songs that are so near to my heart was indescribable. But this morning when I woke up it hit me just how fast these next few weeks will come and go and that, I must say, is enough to make my heart break.

I know everything to come is for the best and will be wonderful, but in all honesty I am nowhere near ready to leave my life here in Portland. I came here with the intention of staying one year before going back to grad school. But what I could not have foreseen was falling in love - with the city, with Jared, with my friends, with my life here. 

For the past four years my life has been come-and-go. Never living in one place longer than 8 months. 

Home, school, home, London, school, home.

I got used to the nomadic lifestyle. And now as I close in on 10 months here, it saddens me to think about packing it up and leaving. There are good people here who I will miss having in my daily life. 

Still, it's the ebb and flow of things that keep me on my toes and there is a thrill of not knowing where or what I'll do next. I'm twenty-two and there is still an entire lifetime waiting for me beyond Portland city limits. So now it's off to London... Dublin... Portland... Pepperdine... 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

INSTAGRAM

PINTEREST

TWITTER