love actually IS all around

The coming and going of another Valentine's Day has left me exhausted.

As is the unwritten but entirely understood house rule at the theater, I worked yesterday. Unless you're unexpectedly drafted or experiencing a mishap with your do-it-yourself lobotomy kit, you're going to work Valentine's Day. Fair enough, I knew that was the deal, so Jared and I planned accordingly. 

Friday was lovely - though I had barely left the theater at all, Jared and I dolled ourselves up and enjoyed a night out. Regardless of working there nearly every day of the week, LR is still the kind of place I'd like to find myself on the occasional Friday night. Amazing food, drinks and movies? Can't lose. So we sat down, found ourselves something on the rocks (him a sensational rye whiskey and me a gin drink I'd stumbled upon earlier that day in a book behind the bar which I then dog-eared for future use) and then dug into our food just as the opening credits of Casablanca began to roll. 

Let me tell you, Casablanca on the big screen is something to be seen at least once in one's lifetime. Our system at work is one of, if not THE most advanced digital system in the country so there was nothing to worry about but whether Ilsa will stay in Morocco with Rick or not. And I wasn't the only one caught up in the smoky splendor of the 40's - Jared liked it too. I love that about him, always curious to try new things, see new movies and experience something that means a lot to me (in this case, classic movies). 

After the movie the night was still young enough so we wandered further into the Pearl District to Life of Riley, a tavern where Kalen (Lisa's oldest son) works and hung out for a bit. Portland really is the perfect place to do a weekend in. 

Saturday morning found me up bright and early to drive the boy into work so he wouldn't have to pay for the bus (didn't mind, stopped for breakfast on the way home then passed out on my couch for a couple hours). It was wonderful to be able to stop and relax and enjoy my day off, especially since the following day (yesterday) was such an unbelievable blur of action. We're absolutely slammed at work with the addition of Avatar in 3D (along with all the other great movies we've got in the lineup right now - we rule at the moment). From the second we opened the doors we were busy and even though I walked with a handsome sum in cash tips, I barely made it home without nodding off. I was also informed that my days off this week were no longer my days off as there simply aren't enough of us to go around at the moment in terms of keeping up with demand. So for now I won't have a day off until Wednesday and then who knows? But with any luck I will finally get my weekends back and by next week be able to devote more time to writing, reading and picture-taking.  

In the meantime, here is an image I found that I completely appreciate. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

INSTAGRAM

PINTEREST

TWITTER