portrait

 
Every morning I spend some time online. Usually it's a scan through Facebook to see what's new in the lives of the people I haven't seen since one of my graduations, too much time spent on A Cup of Jo then finally on over to CNN to find out what has happened in the world since I went to bed last night (this is usually the same ritual I execute each night before bed as well).
 
This morning was an easy first stop on my global news front - Time magazine's Best Portraits of 2010.
 
 
The photo above was the first in the series to fully capture my attention with the caption, "Aisha: After having her nose and ears cut off as punishment for fleeing her abusive in-laws, Aisha fled to the safety of a woman's shelter. She was featured on the cover of TIME and later flown to the United States for reconstructive surgery."
 
It's a stark and imminent reminder of just how much I have to be thankful for to live in a country where I can love whomever I choose and live without fear of in-laws beyond the occasional quip.
 





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

INSTAGRAM

PINTEREST

TWITTER