whiskey almond biscotti










When a minute amount of snow (at least relative to the slam the middle and eastern portions of this fine country of ours received) found me unexpectedly free last Thursday I decided to put myself to good use. I decided to finally dive into the pile of recipes I've been accumulating and test my skills at baking, something I usually leave to my dear Brigy.

The end result was a spin on the biscotti recipe from Smitten Kitchen, my favorite cooking blog. It wasn't perfect but nonetheless, still quite pleasing.

Whiskey Almond Biscotti (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Corner Creek Bourbon Whiskey (though any whiskey will do, this is just what I had)
1 cup sliced almonds (I would use more next time, and toast them)

1 large egg white


Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. 
Line baking sheet with parchment paper. 
Mix flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl. 
Mix sugar, melted butter, 3 eggs, vanilla extract and whiskey in large bowl. 
Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir with wooden spoon until well blended. 
Mix in almonds.
Divide dough in half. 
Using floured hands, shape each dough half into 13 1/2-inch-long, 2 1/2-inch-wide log. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. 
Whisk egg white in small bowl until foamy; brush over top and sides of each dough log.
Bake logs until golden brown (logs will spread), about 30 minutes. 
Cool logs completely, about 25 minutes. 
Maintain oven temperature.
Transfer logs to work surface; discard parchment paper. 
Using serrated knife, cut logs into 1/2-inch-wide slices. 
Arrange slices, cut side down, on same baking sheet. 
Bake 12 minutes. 
Turn biscotti over; bake until just beginning to color, about 8 minutes. 
Transfer to rack and cool.

2 comments:

  1. My mom makes yummy biscotti sans whiskey. Hmm, I'll have to pour it when she's not looking..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after browsing through many of the articles I realized it's new to me.
    Regardless, I'm certainly happy I came across it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back regularly!


    Feel free to visit my website - raspberry Ketone diet Reviews

    ReplyDelete

 

INSTAGRAM

PINTEREST

TWITTER