weekly gratitude

thank you boots for making a "click clack" sound when I walk (which makes me feel fancy)
Another week, another set of life lessons being flung at me with no one yelling, "Heads up!" or "Watch out!" or "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DUCK WOMAN, DUCK!" (where are my spotters when I need them?) (probably eating cheese somewhere - it's a common distraction in Oregon).

Do you ever have those weeks where you feel like so much has happened that you must have wandered into a worm hole somewhere that left you somewhere between reality and "gaaaaaaaaaaah!"?

No? Just me?

Eh. I'm good with it. It beats the alternative - that whole blissfully unaware thing? Not for me. Ignorance is not something I yearn to excel at, and I don't like having the wool pulled over my eyes any more than the next person (unless it's merino wool and it's from J. Crew and it looks like this).

But more importantly...

1. Thank you for forgiveness. There was an Italian restaurant in Santa Monica that we used to go to with the words "Forgiveness Is Greater" painted on the ceiling. I remember seeing it years ago and falling in love with the saying (somewhere there exists a photo of this mythical ceiling but I think it's wedged somewhere between here and Narnia). Anyway, my point is that no matter what happens (and as difficult as Lord knows it is), forgiveness is greater. I'm not saying forget - never forget (for how else do we learn?) - but keep in mind that a person's true motives may never make full sense to you, but you never know when your forgiveness may be what frees another from a self-made prison.

2. Thank you Sunday nights (and occasionally Saturday nights... OK, fine, sometimes both) at Red Hills Market with Jodi and Caitlyn. We quite literally closed the place down tonight after work. Oven-roasted ham and gruyere baguettes with a tasty Cote Du Rhone followed by mini Kit Kats and a cinnamon roll the size of my head (thank you Bryce!)  paired so perfectly with the three of us having way too much fun? Yespleaseandthankyou.

3. Thank you for my mother's amazing strength. You've heard the phrase "I don't know how she does it" in reference to things other than (what I can only assume is) the questionable film of the same title, yes? Well they got that from watching my mom. The universe has been lobbing 'em at her (hell, the shrapnel is everywhere) for too many long years and with the zenith rapidly approaching her limit is dangerously close to being reached. And yet... And yet she does not give in. She does not break. Sure, she waivers and questions and spins and toils (she's human) but somehow, my incredible mother will not fall. It reminds me of the lyrics to this Chuck Ragan song and the lyrics "Well I told myself I would not fail, I would not fall, I would prevail". Mom, I don't know how you do it but the point is that you do and with that in mind, don't fear that breaking point and don't fear the questioning. We are all here to catch you if you feel yourself going down, but we will not let you hit the ground. Time after time, year after year, you are that pillar of strength for the rest of us and now it's your turn to lean on us. Love you so much.


On that note, brace yourself for the week to come! And by brace yourself I mean rejoice in each day that you are given. We get one shot at this life kids... Let's make it count.

3 comments:

  1. My best to your mom and all that she's going through right now. I know how difficult that stuff can get and really, no words can work the wonders that we want them to.

    Nothing but love, my lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is so joyful and inspiring. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete

 

INSTAGRAM

PINTEREST

TWITTER