weekly gratitude

thank you a) space heater for warming it up enough to wear shorts & b) henry miller


December 18th.

I have no idea how we got here.

No really, who authorized this whole "one-week-until-Christmas" thing?

All of a sudden it's Sunday night and I realize I'm leaving for California Tuesday morning (yes, I still have to pack - no, I have no idea when I'm going to do that).

Truth be told, as happy as I am to be going home there is a definite part of me wishing I could stay here with The Camaraderie for the holiday (note to family: please do not read into that too much, I know you will anyway, but please don't!). Christmas with the Indianians is said to involve Jim Beam Rye and  Gremlins - the only proof I have of this is a cryptic Facebook message circa 2008 from Mike regarding Mr. Indiana (Jared) sleeping happily in a whiskey bliss to the sounds of Gizmo.

Fortunately, my Christmas will involve being with my mom, dad and grandma, seeing old friends, eating a lot of good food, good wine and a whole mess of other happies. So I still classify this as a win.

Too much to be thankful for to worry about it too much...

1. Thank you for shopping days with friends in a beautiful city. Sound silly? Yeah, girls like shopping, big surprise there... But Thursday I met Caitlyn over at the mall and we played dress up for a few hours (and indulged in a little Godiva chocolate in the process - thank you again for the truffle!) which was awesome. The place was surprisingly mellow for being so close to Christmas (thank you for that too, while I'm at it). Then Friday Robin and I bounced into the city to play in the sunshine (and yes, shop). It may have seemed frivolous, but both days were just so enjoyable I can't overlook that simple joy. 

2. Thank you for friends who are willing to defend me come hell or high water. Especially Jodi for always having my back and being willing to kick ass for me if it ever comes down to it (regardless if it will embarrass Scott or not... Though I won't ever let it come to that!) and to Tim in the cellar for apparently being willing to take up arms against anyone who wrongs me (that's pretty cryptic I know, but trust me, there is a longer story and a mental image there that is just too much fun). 

3. Thank you for He Speaks In The Silence. I finally got around to reading through this blog a couple of weeks ago when the proverbial expletive was kind of hitting the fan and I am so glad I did. And I know that was some sort of divine intervention that did it because it just furthered me down the path of "hearing (reading) what I needed to hear (read) when I needed it most". The blog is written by Diane Comer, the founding pastor of Solid Rock's wife and not only is SHE amazing, but the people who contribute to the blog are incredible too. I was reading a post by one of the other pastor's wives tonight and there was a line at the end that just caught me:

"God designs the most beautiful scenarios and then we spoil them with our impatience. Just don't do it."

Um, preaching to the choir? God please, continue doing this in my life - please keep reminding me that YOU are the one in charge, not me. 

4. Thank you God for the continued renewal of my hope, since I'm on the subject. 

"Let us hold tightly to the hope we profess, for He who has promised is faithful."
-Hebrews 10:23-

And I saved the best for last...

5. Thank you for this text from Michull:

"So we have a Christmas present for all you Portlanders... We're moving back! See you in February!"

And then I lost my mind. Best. Christmas present. Ever. 

-

So with the coming New Year, I am now wound up like and eight-day clock awaiting to return of Michull and Maggie. They moved to Boston in April and it just hasn't been the same here since. So if anyone needs me I'll be right here on the edge of my seat. 

Anyway, 48 hours from now I'll be curled up on Mom's big red couch with the big yellow flowers and I'll go ahead and assume there will be a glass of wine involved because, c'mon, who are we kidding? Mom and I are pretty good at life. I'm rootin' for some English Cheddar with caramelized onions from Trader Joe's too. 

2011 is rapidly wrapping itself up and I'm cautiously optimistic about the year to come. I'm finally reading Sexus by Henry Miller (thanks Dean!) and by page one, there was a quote that I'll happily take slightly out of context because it's so perfect with the anticipation of another year:

"A wholly new life lay before me, had I the courage to risk it all."

Yes. Amen to that Henry. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with this one week until Christmas deal. I'm not feeling all that festive despite advertisers forcing me to believe that the big day is only moments away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My darling, I will always defend you - No matter what. XX

    ReplyDelete

 

INSTAGRAM

PINTEREST

TWITTER